Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Free-Market Individualist's Anthem?

Like most entertainers, Billy Joel is a politically-correct statist. However, in 1978 he performed a song that sounds like the anthem of a free-market individualist, emphasizing independence, the American dream, and the spirit of Horatio Alger. The lyrics go,

I don't need you to worry for me, 'cause I'm all right
I don't want you to tell me it's time to come home
I don't care what you say anymore; this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, and leave me alone

I never said you had to offer me a second chance
(I never said you had to)
I never said I was a victim of circumstance
(I never said)
I still belong; don't get me wrong
And you can speak your mind
But not on my time


"I never said you had to offer me a second chance"? "I never said I was a victim of circumstance"? If everyone had that attitude, the welfare state would be no more.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home