Sunday, April 01, 2007

My Change of Heart

Stuart K. Hayashi


Dear Tali,

I have some news. I don't know if there is even an appropriate way for me to break this to you. Trust me -- it's not easy.

It's just that, . . . well, . . .

. . . I don't have full confidence in the free market anymore.

Laissez faire is not sufficient when it comes to addressing many of the inadequacies of living in society today. You need government to build a dam to protect everybody from flooding; a free market is not enough for this, what with the "free rider" problem and all. And to pay for a lighthouse's upkeep through having the private dock owners own the lighthouse and pay for its maintenance through docking fees, only works if the private dock owner has a monopoly on any port that the lighthouse can possibly guilde any ships to.

I can't explain this all in a single blog post, so I've given a more detailed explanation of why I no longer have full confidence in the free market.

To read my more detailed explanation, go to this website.

1 Comments:

At 1:05 PM , Blogger Talifaitasi Satele said...

hahahaha...you had me going on that one.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home