Tuesday, December 05, 2006

WELFARE VS WORKFARE

I am obviously not a champion of welfare. I hate how politicians use welfare to buy votes. We're never short a politician to cut ribbons, break ground, pose for photo ops or claim credit for some program that came at other people's expense. I would really like our politicians to start thanking mainland taxpayers (in specific) whenever our territory gets a new handout.

I hate how welfare pits a man against his brother. Case in point: the Political Status Commission's clergy meeting. The two ministers, Senator Tuaolo and their laughing audience targeted foreigners as enemies of the welfare state. And they're right! There's not enough freebies to go around.

I champion workfare. Work for your healthcare, work for your food, work to go to school, work to build your house. Work with your brother, both foreign and domestic, to better your lot in life. Believe in yourself, educate yourself, accept responsibility for your actions and don't blame the White Man or the Bogey Man for your shortcomings. Look at yourself in the mirror everyday and say, "I'm going to work to improve something about myself".

I will champion the hardworking Asian over the lazy Samoan and the hardworking Samoan over the lazy Asian any day.

1 Comments:

At 10:11 PM , Blogger Stuart K. Hayashi said...

This would be a great contribution to the UH newspaper!

You don't have to be a student there for them to publish your great letters.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home